43 hours per two week course
All Bell Teacher Academy courses are delivered by highly experienced teacher trainers. The team includes a whole host of leading ELT experts and published educational authors.
The single most powerful factor in affecting student learning outcomes after the students themselves is the teacher. An expert teacher is an agent of outstanding learning and achievement. This course aims to help educational leaders, teacher educators, quality inspectors and senior teachers to gain an understanding of the teaching methods and learning activities that work best and to support the professional development of teachers so that they can become expert practitioners whilst developing their own language skills.
Topics covered on Expert Teaching include:
- What research tells us expert teaching is
- Teaching methods and learning and learning activities that work best
- Identifying challenging learning outcomes and communicating them to students
- Providing effective feedback to learners
- Enhancing learning through self-assessment and reflection
- Enhancing learning through peer-assessment
- Supporting learners through frames and success criteria
- Effective questioning techniques
- Gathering evidence of learning from students
- Effective classroom behaviour interventions
Topics can be adapted depending on participants’ professional needs, priorities, and teaching context.
Participants will have the opportunity to build up a portfolio of authentic materials to support the cultural component of their teaching.
In addition to the core development course, teachers choose two additional workshops a week, such as ‘Using film in the classroom’, ‘Motivating students’ and ‘Different ways to use songs in the classroom’.
Guest lectures and plenary sessions
Weekly guest lectures and plenary sessions by well-known ELT experts.
Experience British life
Bell Teacher Academy is set in Stephen Perse in the traditional and beautiful city of Cambridge. You can explore the city with other teachers, visit the many museums and go to one of the many outdoor cultural events over the summer such as ‘Shakespeare in the park’. There are a host of activities held on campus too and trips to nearby cities including London.
Bell Teacher Academy partners with Cambridge University Press and Cambridge English Language Assessment.