43 hours per two week course
All Bell Teacher Campus courses are delivered by highly experienced teacher trainers. The team includes a whole host of leading ELT experts and published educational authors.
This is a practical course that gives you the skills you need to be an effective CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning) teacher in a primary school context. You will learn the principles behind the effective teaching of subjects in students’ second language and be better able to design CLIL materials and assess your students in a CLIL context. An important aspect of the course is English language improvement and development of language awareness.
Topics covered on Content and Language Integrated Learning Primary include:
- Teacher language development and classroom English
- Working bilingually
- Core CLIL methodology
- Materials evaluation and lesson planning
- Cognitive skills development: Lower and Higher Order Thinking Skills, Bloom’s Taxonomy
- Analysing task difficulty
- Different kinds of learner language use (Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills, Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency)
- Scaffolding language learning during content classes: Talk and Writing frames, Graphic Organisers, Substitution tables.
- Strategies that promote dialogic teaching and learning
- Using educational technology in the CLIL classroom
Topics can be adapted depending on participants’ professional needs, priorities, and teaching context.
Participants will have the opportunity to build up a portfolio of authentic materials to support the cultural component of their teaching.
In addition to the core development course, teachers choose two additional workshops a week, such as ‘Using film in the classroom’, ‘Motivating students’ and ‘Different ways to use songs in the classroom’.
Guest lectures and plenary sessions
Weekly guest lectures and plenary sessions by well-known ELT experts.
Experience British life
Bell Teacher Campus is set in a University of Cambridge college in the traditional and beautiful city of Cambridge. You can explore the city with other teachers, visit the many museums and go to one of the many outdoor cultural events over the summer such as ‘Shakespeare in the park’. There are a host of activities held on campus too and trips to nearby cities including London.
Bell Teacher Campus partners with Cambridge University Press and Cambridge English Language Assessment.
Take the Teaching Knowledge Test (TKT)
Choose to take the TKT at Bell Teacher Campus and gain an internationally recognised qualification, awarded by Cambridge English, part of the University of Cambridge. Free exam preparation for the TKT is provided. There is only a small admin fee of £38 to take the exam, which includes postage of the certificate.