21.5 hours per one week course
All Bell Teacher Academy courses are delivered by highly experienced teacher trainers. The team includes a whole host of leading ELT experts and published educational authors.
This hands-on one-week course will you to develop the knowledge, skill, and confidence to establish and maintain a creative culture of mentoring, coaching and feedback in your workplace. You will learn about ways of applying coaching and mentoring in staff development, the overall strategies involved, and the specific interventions used in different kinds of learning and development encounter.
This course will cover areas including:
- A complete set of verbal interventions for use in a full range of professional learning needs
- Practice in major areas of interpersonal helping and supervision such as: being supportive; dealing with positive and negative feelings; encouraging developmental thinking, offering prescriptions, challenging blind spots, raising self-esteem
- How to shift elegantly between offering direction and inviting self-direction
- Practise of these interventions as facilitator, ‘client’ and observer using a practice -> feedback -> reflection -> practice cycle
- A clear articulation of the values that underlie skilled helping, and criteria for establishing the validity or otherwise of interventions
- Getting things done through people: New models of leadership for teachers, managers, and staff in a people-based organisation.
- Creating a positive psychological learning atmosphere in classroom, staff room and team.
- Using the above skills and insights to develop high level coaching, or mentoring or feedback, according to your need or inclination.
Topics can be adapted depending on participants’ professional needs, priorities, and teaching context.
Participants will have the opportunity to build up a portfolio of authentic materials to support the cultural component of their teaching.
In addition to the core development course, teachers choose one additional workshop, such as ‘Using film in the classroom’, ‘Motivating students’ and ‘Different ways to use songs in the classroom’.
Guest lectures and plenary sessions
Guest lecture and plenary session by well-known ELT experts.
Experience British life
Bell Teacher Academy is set in Stephen Perse in the traditional and beautiful city of Cambridge. You can explore the city with other teachers, visit the many museums and go to one of the many outdoor cultural events over the summer such as ‘Shakespeare in the park’. There are a host of activities held on campus too and trips to nearby cities including London.
Bell Teacher Academy partners with Cambridge University Press and Cambridge English Language Assessment.
Take the Teaching Knowledge Test (TKT)
Choose to take the TKT at Bell Teacher Academy and gain an internationally recognised qualification, awarded by Cambridge English, part of the University of Cambridge. Free exam preparation for the TKT is provided. There is only a small admin fee of £38 to take the exam, which includes postage of the certificate.