If you would like one of our teachers to explain an English saying or phrase for you, then leave a comment on our Facebook page and we will feature it here!
- Can we meet in the canteen to touch base before you go home?
- Hi mum, just calling to touch base, give me a call back when you can.
- We need to touch base after the meeting to decide what to do next.
- Meet / speak to someone for a short time to
- Check everything is ok
- Share information
- It is used quite widely in spoken English in informal situations.
- You often use this phrase when you haven’t spoken to the other person for a period of time if you want to know that everything is ok and find out any new information.
- A base is also a military term, used for the centre of operations during a military exercise. Soldiers go out to fight / find intelligence, then all return to base to share what they have found out and plan their next move.
Was this useful? Why not come and give us an example of this saying on our Facebook page or on Twitter (@bell_english)