In today’s reading and writing class one of the students came across the lexical item ‘bees knees’. It was in a dialogue between 2 friends:
You bought me a coffee and a cake? You are the bees knees!
The lexical item ‘bees knees’ means ‘you are the best’ and is used as a compliment. In linguistics this item is also called ‘reduplication’ because there is repetition in the sounds made by the 2 words: bees knees. In class, we decided to look for some more examples of reduplication and came up with a list of 9.
Put the 9 reduplication items into the correct sentence.
- “It’s time for school now”, she said. “Get your coats and bags, ______”.
- I thought the movie would be great but it was just ______.
- We read his new book for school last week and I thought it was utter ______!
- She was involved in a ______ on the way home because of the icy road.
- Their living room was a ______ of different styles but it worked.
- I bought some ______ candles for the birthday cake and they are really cute.
- They bought me a ______ new tablet for my birthday.
- I could hear them having a ______ even though I was 2 rooms away!
- When chased by a predator, some animals take a ______ line in order to escape.