This week, one of the students in the IELTS class went to a quiz night and some of the questions were based on palindromes. By coincidence a palindrome came up in a IELTS reading the very next day: civic – “It was civic duty to help with his community project.”
A palindrome is a word that is spelled the same whether backwards or forwards. Another example is the word madam – “Welcome to the restaurant madam.”
Put the 9 palindromes into the correct sentence.
- They wanted to go on a trip down the river so they hired a kayak, for the day.
- Be careful when you fix the bookshelf as it needs to be perfectly level.
- She is off the radar in this country but she is very famous in her own country.
- When writing an academic essay you mustreferto your sources.
- When I was a child, I loved to read the Viking sagas..
- She is in the school choir and is so good that she has been asked to sing three solos..
- The maintenet of the religion is about the love and respect of others.
- The red paint you have chosen is ok but I think it needs to be redder..
- Let’s meet atnoon as I am not free in the morning.
Check your answers below.