While looking through a dictionary during self-study one of the students was surprised to see many expressions that can be used with the word ‘hand’. He knew the word hand (the end part of a person's arm beyond the wrist, including the palm, fingers, and thumb) but was unaware of all the expressions that can be used. Later, in class, we looked at some of the expressions in more detail.
Choose the correct word to complete the sentences:
|down at by change tied on first give back safe|
- Is your sweater made ____ hand.
- It must be true, I heard it ____ hand
- There were many people ____ hand to assist us.
- The problem ____ hand needs to be dealt with.
- World Cup tickets ____ hands for exorbitant prices.
- Could you ____ me a hand to lift this heavy box.
- There is nothing I can do; my hands are ____.
- He has lived here all his life and knows the city like the ____ of his hand.
- As the youngest of 6 sisters I was always given hand-me-____ clothes.
- Don’t worry, your car is in ____ hands with this mechanic.