In class today some of the students were trying to decide if they were sharing a bag of sweets or a bag of candy. What do we call those small shapes made of sugar? It depends if you are in the USA or in the UK. In the UK we call them sweets and in America they call them candy. And, of course there are many other words that are different.
1. Match the 11 British words with their American partners
2. Put the words British/American words into the correct sentence.
- My favourite season is __________.
- We bought some new __________ for the bedroom window
- My children love playing __________ in the garden.
- I do not like long drives on the __________.
- The __________ is broken and it will not turn off.
- Can I borrow your _________ please? I made a mistake.
- I am going to buy a new pair of _________ today.
- Can you tell me where the __________ is please?
- It is too far to walk to the 12th floor so we should take the __________.
- The baby is crying so give her the __________.
- Would you like a __________ with your milk?