43 hours per two week course
All Bell Teacher Academy courses are delivered by highly experienced teacher trainers. The team includes a whole host of leading ELT experts and published educational authors.
This practical course will give you the skills and confidence to effectively prepare your students for both internal and external English exams (e.g. Cambridge exams, IELTS etc). You will learn about the most effective, evidence-based methods and strategies to help students succeed at different task types across the four skills. You will also study the theory behind effective assessment, and improve your ability to assess tests and design your own. You will also develop your English and be more confident in using English in the context of testing and assessment.
This practical course covers testing and assessment methodology and principles. Participants will design tests throughout the course to apply the theory.
Topics covered in Teaching Exam Classes include:
- Practical techniques and procedures for teaching exams that address all four skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking) and language ability
- Recognising effective tests and assessment and identifying underpinning methodology
- Making comparisons between existing ELT tests including IELTS, Cambridge Exams and TOFEL
- Using success criteria to better differentiate learning outcomes for students of mixed ability
- Helping students become more independent learners
- Aligning learning activities and assessment strategies
- Analysis of different types of exam question
Topics can be adapted depending on participants’ professional needs, priorities, and teaching context.
In addition to the core development course, teachers choose two additional workshops a week, such as ‘Using film in the classroom’, ‘Motivating students’ and ‘Different ways to use songs in the classroom’.
Guest lectures and plenary sessions
Weekly guest lectures and plenary sessions by well-known ELT experts.
Experience British life
Bell Teacher Academy is set in Stephen Perse in the traditional and beautiful city of Cambridge. You can explore the city with other teachers, visit the many museums and go to one of the many outdoor cultural events over the summer such as ‘Shakespeare in the park’. There are a host of activities held on campus too and trips to nearby cities including London.
Bell Teacher Academy partners with Cambridge University Press and Cambridge English Language Assessment.
Take the Teaching Knowledge Test (TKT)
Choose to take the TKT at Bell Teacher Academy and gain an internationally recognised qualification, awarded by Cambridge English, part of the University of Cambridge. Free exam preparation for the TKT is provided. There is only a small admin fee of £38 to take the exam, which includes postage of the certificate.