The following terms and conditions apply to all bookings for English 16+ courses at Bell Cambridge and Bell London, regardless whether the course is booked directly or through an Educational Tour Operator (ETO). By submitting the booking form you are agreeing to the full terms and conditions. If enrolling a student under 18, you agree to the terms and conditions on their behalf.
1.1 To make your booking, you must submit a booking form and pay a £375 deposit, which is part of your total fees, and the £95 registration fee, within 3 working days of submitting your form. Both payments are non-refundable.
1.2 Full fees as quoted on your pro-forma invoice must be paid at least 6 weeks before the course start date. We cannot guarantee to hold a place on the course/accommodation unless all fees are paid in full and on time. Students with unpaid fees will not be admitted to the course and may not be able to move into or remain in their accommodation.
1.3 Fees for each term are due 6 weeks before the term starts.
1.4 Payment can be made by bank transfer direct to Bell or through our online payment provider Flywire. In addition to a Flywire handling fee of up to £7, all card payments will be subject to a 2% fee levied by the card company. These fees are non-refundable.
1.5 It is your responsibility to cover all bank charges and exchange rate differences for payments.
1.6 Please note that VAT will be charged at the current rate where applicable.
2 Tuition fees include:
- All course tuition (plus talks by visiting speakers where applicable)
- Use of Bell study centres including complete access to audio and DVD libraries, all practice and test materials and library books
- Free on-site internet access
- Bell entry tests and end-of-course certificate*
- Advice and support from Bell staff
- Activities and trips offered on UK public holidays when no classes are running
- Core Language in Action (social programme) activities including an arrival orientation tour
- Up to one full day and one half-day/evening trip every two weeks. The number of trips will vary according to the course start date
- Use of Bell's sports and social facilities
- CAS fee for Tier 4 visa applicants
*The Bell end-of-course certificate is subject to 80% minimum attendance.
**This excludes students who are UK Domicile Residents.
Unless otherwise stated, tuition fees do not include:
- A non-refundable registration fee of £95
- Classes on UK public holidays. High season supplement of £50 per week on all course weeks which fall between Sunday 28 June - Saturday 8 August 2020
- Any social programme trips, events and entrance fees which are not marked as “free” on the monthly programme
- Lunch card credit at Bell Cambridge. Students can add money to their lunch card at the school. Any unused credit is non-refundable
- Airport transfers
- Exam entrance fees
- Transport to and from external exam centres
- Courier fees.
3. Cancellations, changes to bookings and refunds
3.1 Cancellations before the course start date must be made in writing to Bell's Head Office. Once a booking has been confirmed, the following cancellation notice periods and fees apply:
Course cancellation fees
- More than 2 weeks before the course start date: you must pay £375 deposit and £95 registration fee
- Less than 2 weeks before the course start date: you must pay £375 deposit, £95 registration fee and one week’s tuition fees
You are unable to stay in any Bell arranged accommodation if you cancel your course.
Accommodation cancellation fees
- If you cancel your accommodation in a residence at least 4 weeks prior to your arrival you will not incur any charges. However, if you cancel 1-4 weeks prior to arrival, you will incur a charge of up to 4 weeks of accommodation fees.
- If you cancel your accommodation in a homestay at least 2 weeks prior to your arrival you will not incur any charges. However, if you cancel 1-2 weeks prior to arrival, you will incur a charge of up to 2 weeks of accommodation fees.
For any notice period given, a ‘week’ counts as Sunday to Saturday.
3.2 If you need to postpone your course, you must tell us in writing. If we are able to change your course dates, the following fees apply:
- More than 6 weeks before the course start date: no fee
- Less than 6 weeks before the course start date: 1 week's tuition fees
- If you postpone your accommodation in a residence at least 4 weeks prior to your arrival you will not incur any charges. However, if you postpone 1-4 weeks prior to arrival, you will incur a charge of up to 4 weeks of accommodation fees.
- If you postpone your accommodation in a homestay at least 2 weeks prior to your arrival you will not incur any charges. However, if you postpone 1-2 weeks prior to arrival, you will incur a charge of up to 2 weeks of accommodation fees.
3.3 If you cancel or shorten your course, or change to a less expensive course on or after the course start date, we will not refund any tuition fees. It is not possible to transfer fees to another student or to premium courses such as 1 to 1 lessons.
3.4 Students who decide to leave their Bell-arranged accommodation, or move to a different type of accommodation, before the end of the booked period must give 4 weeks’ notice for accommodation in a residence and 2 weeks’ notice for accommodation in a homestay. If less notice is received you will incur a charge of up to 4 weeks of accommodation fees for a residence and up to 2 weeks of accommodation fees for a homestay. If the new accommodation is more expensive, additional fees must be paid before moving.
3.5 Any refunds must be made by the same payment method and to the same source as the original payment. Handling charges and fees levied by the card company on any card payments are non-refundable. Fees are not transferable to other students.
3.6 We reserve the right to charge an administration fee for any changes made to the original booking.
3.7 In the event that Bell has to cancel a course, we will do our best to move the student to an equivalent programme. If this is not possible, we will refund all fees paid to Bell, but will not refund any other payments, such as for flights.
Please note these cancellation terms also apply to funded courses.
4.1 It is the responsibility of the client to check the student's visa requirements for entry into the UK, and if necessary apply for and ensure the student is granted the appropriate visa for their period of study with Bell. Information on visas can be found here.
4.2 Bell will only issue visa support documentation once all registration requirements are met and all fees due have been paid.
4.3 If you have not received your visa 2 weeks before the course starts, you must inform us so we can work with you to make any necessary arrangements. If we receive less than 2 weeks’ notice of a visa delay and you wish to postpone your course, we will charge 1 week’s tuition fees and 2 weeks’ accommodation fees, if accommodation has been booked. All course and accommodation postponements are subject to availability.
4.4 If a visa application is rejected and we receive notice in writing, along with a copy of the visa refusal letter, we will refund the following:
- More than 2 weeks before the course starts: all fees except the £95 registration fee and any courier charges
- 2 weeks or less before the course starts: all fees except the £375 deposit, the £95 registration fee and any courier charges
- We will only offer refunds in cases for visa refusal where the student followed UK Home Office guidelines for their visa application
- If a student arrives at one of our centres without the correct visa, we are required by law to arrange for them to leave as soon as possible.
4.5 If a student with a Tier 4 visa leaves Bell before the end of their course, we are required by law to inform the UK Home Office.
4.6 All decisions on visa applications made by the UK Home Office are final.
5. Arrivals and departures
5.1 Do not book flights or make travel arrangements until you have received the booking confirmation documents from Bell.
5.2 Students who want to book a Bell arrival or departure taxi transfer must submit their travel details as early as possible and pay the published rate. If travel details are received less than 1 week before travel, we reserve the right to charge an administration fee. Students who cancel their taxi transfer less than 1 week in advance will not be entitled to a refund. Students are responsible for any additional taxi waiting time charges if their flight is significantly delayed.
5.3 If you have booked Bell accommodation, please inform Bell of your intended arrival time
5.4 Students staying at The Frank Bell Residence, Sorrento Residence, Tripos Court, The Railyard or Bell Garden House in Cambridge will be asked to pay a refundable damage deposit of £100 on arrival.
5.4 Students who would like to book any extra nights' accommodation before a course's official arrival date or after a course's official departure date must reserve in advance. Extra nights are subject to availability and at an additional charge.
5.5 Delayed departure: should a student's departure at the end of the period of study be delayed due to circumstances beyond the student's control, Bell will continue to provide accommodation if possible, but will do so at the standard rate of fees.
6. The course
6.1 All Bell centres and courses have entry requirements, such as minimum age and language level. Please refer to the course details, our level chart or contact us for further information. If any information provided at the time of application is later found to be incorrect, we reserve the right to make any changes considered necessary to the enrolment at the student’s own expense and, if appropriate, ask them to leave their course and accommodation without a refund of fees.
6.2 All courses and course components are run subject to demand.
6.3 We reserve the right to change course arrangements and prices without advance notice.
6.4 In peak season, a number of classes at Bell London take place in alternative premises nearby.
6.5 On the first day of the course, students will complete a placement test and will be placed in a class appropriate to their language level. Once the course has started, we reserve the right to move students to the class most appropriate for their language level.
7. Exam entrance
7.1 Examinations are held externally and are not included in the tuition fee, unless specifically mentioned in the course package. Students who would like to take external exams can register through Bell at an additional fee. Exam entrance fees include Bell’s administration service and range between £135 and £165, depending on the exam. As exam places are limited, we recommend that students who wish to enter for an exam provisionally book the exam through Bell before their course starts. To confirm the booking students will need to present their passport and passport size photos to the Bell Reception.
7.2 Students must pay for transfers to and from the exam centre, unless otherwise stated.
7.3 Students wishing to enter for an exam must bring valid passports for exam entry. National Identity cards may not be accepted in the UK. Exam boards may require students under the age of 18 to provide a separate consent form completed by their parent or guardian.
8.1 We reserve the right to change accommodation arrangements and prices without advance notice.
8.2 If you have booked accommodation in one of our residences then by agreeing to these Terms and Conditions, you are also agreeing to the terms of the Licence to Occupy and the residence rules for your chosen residence. A copy of the Licence to Occupy and residence rules will be sent to you before arrival.
8.3 If you have booked homestay accommodation we will carefully select the right homestay family for you. We will do our best to meet all special requests, particularly relating to health and diet, but we cannot guarantee that this will always be possible.
9.1 We encourage students to book their holiday at the time of enrolment. Students who arrange their holiday during their course must notify us at least 4 weeks' in advance, and an administration fee may be charged. The holiday period can be added to the end of the course of study, subject to availability. If the added weeks take place during the summer period, the high season supplement must be paid.
9.2 It may not be possible to place students in the same class or accommodation after a holiday.
9.3 If you wish to remain in your accommodation during the Christmas period, please contact us for availability. In case staying in your accommodation is not possible, we can recommend alternative options. Students who are away over the Christmas period but wish to retain their homestay accommodation must pay a retainer fee of £32 per week.
9.4 During other holiday periods, including holidays scheduled by Bell as mentioned above, students who wish to retain their residential accommodation must pay the standard weekly rate. To retain homestay accommodation, the standard weekly rate is payable for the first week and 50% of the standard weekly rate is payable for any subsequent weeks.
10.1 Insurance is included as part of our course fees* and covers the following, amongst others:
Cancellation and curtailment: Up to £7,500
Medical expenses: Unlimited
Personal belongings: £2,000
Personal liability: £2,000,000
A summary of the cover, which is provided by Chubb, will be sent to you with your booking confirmation.
*This policy does not cover students who are UK residents.
10.2 Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered by the insurance.
11. Medical information
11.1 You must inform us of any disabilities, medical, dietary or other information that may affect the student’s ability to participate in the course at time of booking. If a student needs special assistance or arrangements and medical information has not been provided before the course, Bell may be unable to provide the necessary support and the student may be asked to leave the school and/or accommodation with no refund of fees.
12. Bell rules
12.1 These rules are to ensure students benefit from their time at Bell and in the UK and apply to behaviour in School, on Bell activities and in Bell accommodation. Any students breaking these rules, or English law, or persisting in serious anti-social behaviour will be disciplined and may be asked to leave the school and their Bell-arranged accommodation with no refund of fees.
12.2 Bell accepts no responsibility for a student's personal actions to another party while at Bell, or for the supervision of students out of lessons or scheduled activities.
12.3 All students must:
- Attend all classes, complete assignments and homework, unless they are ill
- Inform the School of any changes of address or circumstances while at Bell
- Obey Bell procedures as explained at the beginning of their course
- Observe fire procedures
- Comply with all UK laws and visa restrictions
12.4 Students aged 18 and over must:
- Behave appropriately towards students aged under 18 who are considered to be children in UK law
- Smoke only in designated areas
- Never buy alcohol, cigarettes (including electronic cigarettes) or tobacco for students under 18 or give alcohol to under 18s
- Not allow students under 18 to visit Bell adult residences for students aged 18 and over
12.5 Students aged 16 and 17 are considered to be children in the UK and must:
- Return to their Bell accommodation by 23:00 hours every evening.
- Inform their homestay or Residential Supervisor in advance if they are taking part in a Bell trip or activity that will finish later than 23:00.
- Not buy or consume alcohol, cigarettes (including electronic cigarettes) or tobacco as the minimum age to purchase this in the UK is 18
- Have written permission from their parent or guardian to join day trips booked by Bell, but organised and run by an Independent travel company.
- Not be absent overnight or go on holiday without informing Reception who will contact parents or guardians for written permission
- Not move out of Bell accommodation without written permission from their parent or guardian
- Not visit any Bell residences for students aged 18 and over
Please note: Bell does not book overnight trips for students aged 16 and 17
12.6 We reserve the right to ask students to leave Bell immediately and with no refund of fees for these reasons:
- Not attending classes regularly
- Serious anti-social behaviour (e.g. verbal abuse or rudeness, drunkenness, sexual harassment, violence, assault)
- Bullying, intimidating or threatening behaviour of any sort
- Proof of or admission to an illegal act (e.g. theft, assault, drink driving, possession or use of illegal drugs or offensive weapons – such as knives, guns or other object with intent to cause harm etc.)
- Breaking any UK law
- Interference with fire or safety equipment and procedures
- Misuse of computers or downloading of any offensive material
- Any other act that brings the name of Bell into disrepute
- Refusal to obey reasonable requests from a member of Senior Staff
12.7 The Learning and Teaching Manager, Student Services Manager or Principal may recommend that a student is not re-admitted to Bell. Reasons for this include the following:
- Lack of academic progress in spite of everyone’s best efforts
- Illness making it impossible for the student to get full benefit from the course
- Poor attendance and lack of commitment to the previous course
- A poor disciplinary record in class
- Behaviour in School or accommodation which is inappropriate, disruptive or disturbing to others
- Failure to pay fees
- Breaking any UK law
12.8 Discipline: If the problem concerns behaviour in class your teacher will speak to you. If there is no improvement, a senior member of Bell staff will speak to you. A formal warning may be given to you, and your parents/sponsor will be informed. If there is a very serious problem you may be asked to leave Bell (expelled) without a refund of fees.
13. Students under the age of 18
The minimum age for students joining Bell adult courses is 16. Students under the age of 18 are considered children by UK law and we require additional information and consent to be able to accept these students onto our adult courses. In addition to the above rules, the following applies to students aged 16 and 17:
13.1 We strongly recommend that students aged 16 and 17 stay in Bell arranged accommodation.
13.2 By choosing not to book Bell arranged accommodation you are giving permission for the student to live independently in the UK.
13.3 If a student is not staying in Bell arranged accommodation, we must receive full contact details of where the student is staying. We accept no responsibility for accommodation not booked through us.
13.4 We strongly recommend that students aged 16 or 17 book the Bell taxi transfer service.
13.5 By choosing not to book the Bell taxi transfer service, you are giving permission for the student to travel to the UK independently. We cannot be held responsible for the safety of under 18s who have not booked the Bell taxi transfer service.
13.6 Some airlines do not allow students under the age of 18 to travel without an adult. Please check the airline’s guidelines before booking flights.
13.7 Students aged 16 and 17 are able to join all social activities arranged and supervised by Bell staff.
13.8 Students aged 16 and 17 can travel independently within the UK on day trips, providing they return to their accommodation by 23:00 hours.
13.9 Bell must receive written permission from parents or guardians for students aged 16 and 17 who wish to;
- be absent from lessons or leave school during lesson time
- travel independently and be absent overnight
- arrange a holiday during their course
- move out of Bell accommodation
13.10 If a student under 18 needs urgent medical attention and their parents/guardians cannot be contacted, Bell will act in loco parentis and will arrange for a doctor to give any medical treatment considered necessary, as well as authorise the administration of an anaesthetic and operation.
14. Complaints procedure
14.1 We are committed to providing the highest level of customer care. If you are not satisfied with our service, please see the complaints procedure (below).
15.1 By making a booking with Bell you are agreeing to the storage and use of the information you supply for Bell's purposes only.
15.2 Bell will share your personal details only with third party providers who are contracted to provide a specific service on behalf of Bell and require the information to perform their function (i.e. taxi transfers, 24hour helpline.) Bell will pass on your details to UK government agencies if requested by them to do so.
15.4 We will take photographs of students at the beginning of the course for identification cards.
15.5 Bell may take photographs of social events, lessons and activities which may be used in promotional materials or social networking sites such as Facebook. Please indicate on the booking form if you are not happy for your photographs to be used for these purposes.
16. Intellectual property
16.1 All intellectual property rights in Bell’s name and logo, website, promotional and marketing materials and all course and examination content and materials belong to Bell. Anyone seeking to use, publish or copy any of Bell’s materials needs to seek our permission in order to do so.
17.1 Bell will only be responsible for loss or damage suffered by a student which occurs as a foreseeable result of Bell’s breach of the terms and conditions or its negligence.
17.2 Nothing in the terms and conditions shall limit or exclude Bell’s liability for death or personal injury caused by negligence, or for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
18. Force Majeure
18.1 Bell is not liable for any failure or delay in providing our services that occurs as a result of any event outside our reasonable control, such as but not limited to war, disease outbreak, natural disaster or terrorist attack. In such cases, we will immediately notify you in writing and shall be excused from performing our obligations for the duration of the force majeure event.
19. Legal enforcement
19.1 These terms and conditions are governed by English law. English courts will have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any disputes that may arise out of the terms and conditions.
Information is correct at time of publication but may be subject to change.
These terms and conditions apply to Bell's English 16+ courses only.