In our Masters Preparation class this week, we have been looking at academic prefixes. Prefixes are added to the beginnings of words in order to change the form of a word (for example, from a verb to a noun), or they are added to convey a meaning.
1. Match the ten prefixes to the definition.
|intra||more than normal|
2. Now you have learnt the definitions, put the prefix into the correct sentence.
|micro pseudo techno homo cardio omni hyper quasi counter intra|
- As a biologist, he focused on the _____climate where a particular type of orchid grew.
- Some people think that alternative medicines are __________-scientific.
- The organisation is __________-governmental so it has less power.
- The doctor told her that is was a __________-vascular problem
- The police had diverted manpower into __________-terrorism.
- The researchers had been working on an antenna that was __________-directional.
- Most students in the group where skilled with _______logy.
- Using the ____net was the most efficient way to communicate with colleagues.
- Although they seemed similar, they were not an __________genous group.
- A _____active child will need help and support in the classroom.