Become a homestay host
Why become a homestay host?
Our homestay hosts share their home and make life for an international student easy, enjoyable and safe.
Every individual, couple or family has different reasons for hosting:
- Earn additional weekly income that you can spend on something you love to do
- Meet people from anywhere in the world, like Argentina, France, Italy, or Japan
- Make someone’s experience unique by sharing your own local knowledge of British life, culture and history in the community
Register Your Interest
Interested in hosting our students? Submit the form below to register your interest and we'll be in touch soon.
By offering to become a host for Bell, you confirm that:
• each bedroom offered is at least 2.8m x 2.5m (9.18ft x 8.2 ft)
• bedrooms offered have a bed (not camp or bunk beds), wardrobe, drawer space, desk & chair suitable for an adult to study at, mirror, and reading lamp.
• that the bathroom has a working shower fixed to the wall (not a plastic hose attached to the taps)
• you will eat dinner with students and engage them in daily conversation
• you will provide a weekly laundry service (or allow students to use the washing machine)
• you will provide students with wireless internet access
Useful things to know:
Deciding to host
A homestay host is an individual, couple or family who offers a place to stay to students.
Behind every homestay experience for a student, is a host – a real person who can have a huge impact on an international student, simply by providing a welcoming and supportive home.
Anyone can be a host but your home must meet 4 basic requirements and comply with our Terms of Service. Whether you host on occasion or on a regular basis, all hosts are expected to meet our quality standards every time. Our dedicated accommodation team will support you throughout your time with us.
What are the basic requirements for hosting?
We only have 5 basic requirements from anyone who would like to host:
Your home is a maximum of 35 minutes away from our Bell Cambridge school (by bus or walking), or up to 30 minutes away from our Bell London school (by tube or walking).
We request a DBS check and 2 character references from all our hosts. We would also provide a compulsory online safeguarding training session.
Provide a private bedroom with a bed (no bunk beds), bed linen, set of towels, wardrobe, desk, drawer space, chair, mirror and lamp. Students will have access to a private or shared bathroom, laundry, free WiFi, and use of an iron and ironing board. Clean bed linen, hand and bath towels to be provided weekly.
Provide meals as per their agreed package rate, e.g. breakfast or breakfast and evening meals etc.
Students are included in any routine family activities and English conversation opportunities will be provided for the student.
How much could I earn by hosting?
Hosting is a great way to seriously boost your family’s income, which is especially useful with the cost of living rising so rapidly. In Cambridge we pay £149 per week for a single room on a half-board (breakfast and dinner) basis. If you are able to offer a private bathroom or ensuite arrangement, you will earn £225 per week on a half-board basis. We also offer a substantial weekly supplement for families who are able to cater for special diets, and a small additional payment for hosting under 18s. In London, our rates for single rooms (half-board) start at £195 per week, rising to £242 with private bathroom.
How do I become a host?
All you have to do is complete our online form and let us know you’re interested in becoming a host. Our form asks some very basic questions about you and your home. Our dedicated team will then be in touch to discuss next steps.
Next steps will include:
- Getting in touch with you to chat through the process and answer any questions you may have
- Arrange a house visit with our Accommodation officer
- Provide you with a full registration pack
- DBS checks and training
Once all the above steps are complete, you are ready to welcome students!