Morning classes will be spent studying grammar and vocabulary suitable for your level of English, as well as developing your reading, writing, speaking, listening and pronunciation skills. Some example areas are detailed below:
- Reading for detail and general understanding from books, the internet, magazines and notices.
- Writing letters, emails, stories, reports, notes, postcards, reviews and articles.
- Listening for detail and general understanding from movies to following conversation.
- Speaking both formal and informal spoken styles of communication with be analysed and practised in all situations including discussions, requests and information exchange.
- Studying grammar and vocabulary will cover a variety of topics such as shopping, the environment, the arts, science and travel.
- Practising pronunciation skills which focus on individual sounds as well as connected speech. Exposure to the different accents of other international students will also help this area.
In the afternoon, from 13:30 - 15:00 Monday to Thursday (6 hours), the course focuses on skills development and you have the choice of four options:
1. English language skills | Lower intermediate and above
Improve your pronunciation, spoken and written accuracy and fluency as well as enhance reading and listening comprehension through discussion, role play and listening to the radio. The skills classes focus on speaking and listening. There will also be an opportunity to work on the skills you need for writing such as spelling, cohesion, structuring, and formal and informal styles.
2. English for academic preparation | Intermediate and above
Develop the confidence and skills to be able to manage the demanding workload of university study. You will grow your academic vocabulary for both spoken and written purposes. You will also develop your presentation skills, essay and report writing skills, research skills and listening and note taking skills. Critical thinking and English for the internet age are also topics which are covered in this course.
3. Business preparation | Intermediate or above
For young professionals who are entering or who have just entered the world of work. You will learn the confidence and skills to be able to promote yourself, socialise with colleagues, and participate in meetings. You will develop spoken and written accuracy and fluency as well as enhancing your reading and listening comprehension through discussions, role plays and business case studies. This option focuses on speaking and listening but other skills such as report and email writing and reading of newspapers and articles are also encouraged. This class will also give students an opportunity to work on skills such as spelling, cohesion, structuring, formal and informal styles.
4. Business Language Testing Service (BULATS) preparation | Intermediate or above
Study for the Business Language Testing Service (BULATS) exam, a business qualification that is recognised by organisations worldwide. You will prepare for the four test modules: reading, writing, listening and speaking.
Each week, students will gain the opportunity to hear a lecture on a topic of general interest. This will help you practise your listening and note-taking skills as well as learning more about a variety of current affairs.
- 21 hours of group tuition
- Private tutorials focusing on specific language and personal development areas with your teacher
- Weekly lectures covering a variety of topics
- Two free Bell-organised activities per week – one afternoon event (e.g. museum visit or pub night) and one trip on a Friday afternoon or Saturday
- Access to air-conditioned classrooms with the latest digital technology
- Study resources including a learning centre and library with DVD rental, coursebooks, latest newspapers and journals
- Multimedia lounge with internet access, networked PCs, a large plasma screen TV, tourist information, reading materials and a cold drinks machine
- Support from Bell staff including free information and advice on higher education and university opportunities
Find out more about London as a destination.
Useful information for planning your course.